• The Heidelberg State School (1872)

     

    The establishment of the Common Schools Board clearly did not solve the problem of making adequate provision for the school buildings and staff that were so badly needed, and it also did not end the inter-denominational arguments over education. Eventually the Board was replaced in 1872 by the Education Department under a Minister responsible to Parliament, and so once more the Heidelberg school changed its name – this time to the Heidelberg State School. Education became free, secular, and compulsory.

    HeidelbergParkc1875-1938

    An entrance to Heidelberg Park 1875-1938