The New School Building (1878)
The Mattingleys, both qualified teachers, were able to retain their positions, aid they continued at the school until Mr. Mattingley’s death in 1878. It was at this time (1877-78) that the school building and residence, then only twenty four years old, was wholly or partly demolished and a new school was erected on its site. An examination of the sketches of this building and of the present school will show that the northern or Darebin Street portion of our school consists of these rooms erected over 100 years ago. The “new” school (which had accommodation for 166 pupils) and a five roomed residence for the headmaster (now the caretaker’s- cottage) were erected at a total cost of about £1,500. In 1877 there were 112 pupils an the roll.