The School Building (1854)
The building was on the present site and, was first known as a National School, then as a Common school, and finally as a State School. At the time of opening, 32 boys and 36 girls were on the roll, and average attendance were 23 and 29 respectively – a much higher average than usual at that time, when attendance was voluntary. Towards the end of 1855 the Hayhoes were succeeded by Thomas Potter and Louisa Lake. Mr. Potter remained in charge until the end of 1862, which was all important year in the history of the school, for that was its last year as a National School.