• History

    The Early History (1848)

    The first schools in the township were privately owned. A Mrs. Hopkins kept one, and Mr. O’Brien another. Pupils paid their teachers one shilling a week. Publicly owned schools in Australia were first started and managed by Church congregations with the help…

    The Heidelberg National School (1849)

    In 1849 the National Schools Board in Sydney dispatched a representative, Mr. G. W. Rusden, on a journey through the Port Phillip District, as Victoria was then called, with the object of visiting communities that had no schools…

    The School Building (1854)

    The building was on the present site and, was first known as a National School, then as a Common school, and finally as a State School. At the time of opening, 32 boys and 36 girls were on the roll, and average attendance were 23 and 29 respectively….

    The Heidelberg Common School, No 294 (1862)

    In 1862, Parliament had decided to replace the two boards – the National and Denominational – with one combined board, the Common Schools Board, which was to supervise all schools receiving government grants…

    The Heidelberg State School (1872)

    The establishment of the Common Schools Board clearly did not solve the problem of making adequate provision for the school buildings and staff that were so badly needed, and it also did not end the inter-denominational arguments over education.

    The 'New' School Building (1878)

    The Mattingleys, both qualified teachers, were able to retain their positions, aid they continued at the school until Mr. Mattingley’s death in 1878. It was at this time (1877-78) that the school building and residence, then only twenty four years old, was wholly or partly demolished and a new school was…

    School Repair & Renovations (1897 Onwards)

    By 1921, the “New” school was badly in need of repair and renovation. The enrolment had grown to more than 270, and some classes were being held in the Methodist Church. Lobbying by the school community resulted in the construction of seven new…

    H.P.S Building of the BER (2013)

    2012 saw the completion of over three million dollars worth of building works. This has resulted in nine new classrooms, an ICT Centre, internal toilets for students and a large open multipurpose teaching and learning space. In addition the school has a Science Room, Art Room, School Hall…

    HPS - A New Era

    2015 saw the beginning of continuing improvements to the buildings and grounds. We created a beautiful passive space in our top school, added new portables for new classrooms…