1:1 iPad Program
What is Heidelberg Primary School’s 1:1 iPad Program?
At Heidelberg Primary School we believe that our students should be well equipped to succeed in the ever-changing technological society in which they live. Life long learning has gone beyond the pen and paper, to incorporate the digital age, as well as a multitude of other educational requirements. Students must embrace problem solving, critical thinking, creativity and technological literacy. All students in grades three to six are offered the opportunity to participate in the program and we have a high participation rate.
Students participating in the 1:1 iPad program receive their own iPad at the beginning of the grade 3 school year.
Today’s students think, connect and communicate differently from those who were at school even only a few years ago. Research shows that students with 1:1 access are:
• more motivated and engaged in learning
• better organised which improved literacy and numeracy outcomes
• better able to collaborate and analytically think
How can iPads improve learning?
1:1 iPads promote better learning in and out of school by encouraging:
• anywhere, anytime access to learning
• independent, self-initiated learning, eg promotion of problem solving skills
• collaboration between students in different schools, states and even countries
• ability to teach students how to communicate appropriately and safely in social websites
• the ability to access homework and school information online and offline
• more availability for teachers to teach students to use the internet appropriately as a tool to learn
• greater access to real-time information, digital learning resources and educational software
• working in online spaces where students can access varied content to support their level of understanding in a subject area
• the ability to digitally capture any learning, such as videos or photographs to create things such as digital stories
• opportunities to discuss cyber bullying as a real issue and discuss impacts of this as a class