School Wide Positive Behaviour Support (SWPBS)
School-Wide Positive Behaviour Support (SWPBS) is a framework that brings together school communities to develop positive, safe, supportive learning cultures. Through implementing this framework, schools are assisted to improve social, emotional, behavioural and academic outcomes for children and young people.
At Heidelberg Primary School, we use the framework to explicitly teach our school values of respect, responsibility and resilience and provide the students with an opportunity to demonstrate and articulate their understanding.
When SWPBS is implemented well, teachers and students have more time to focus on relationships and classroom instruction.
Students and staff benefit from:
- increased respectful and positive behaviour
- increased time focused on instruction
- improved social-emotional wellbeing
- positive and respectful relationships among students and staff
- increased adoption of evidence-based instructional practices
- a predictable learning environment with improved perceptions of safety and increased attendance