Teaching and Learning at Heidelberg Primary School
Heidelberg Primary School aims, through successful teaching and learning, to develop the whole person and to enable our students to become lifelong learners. All staff have a responsibility, collectively and individually, to contribute to the delivery of the broad, challenging, and appropriate curriculum. In addition, they individually have a responsibility to strive to deliver lessons where the teaching and learning is of the highest quality and where the learning needs of all learners are met.
The staff at our school form a dedicated community of learners. The knowledge base that informs effective practice is continually growing and consequently all need to be, and seen to be, lifelong learners. HPS is committed to effective ongoing professional learning to enable staff to embrace this change for the betterment of student learning.
HPS is furthering our use Professional Learning Communities to drive the teaching teams and the work that we do.
Building a PLC is a proven way for schools to increase student learning by creating a culture that is:
- focussed on continuous improvement by linking the learning needs of students with the professional learning and practice of teachers
- committed to professionalism
- fuelled by collaborative expertise.
As a community of learners, we believe that:
- Numeracy and literacy skills are fundamental for each student’s development
- Learning is an active process and students need opportunities to explore materials, ideas and concepts before being introduced to formal activities
- Student’s self-esteem and confidence play a vital role in their achievements
- Expression and celebration of creativity are key motivators in learning
- A successful learning environment fosters personal qualities including tolerance, flexibility, creativity, curiosity, independence and self-awareness